Week 2

Scripture for the Week:

Mark 8:31-38 (The Message)

Jesus warned them to keep it quiet, not to breathe a word of it to anyone. He then began explaining things to them: "It is necessary that the Son of Man proceed to an ordeal of suffering, be tried and found guilty by the elders, high priests, and religion scholars, be killed, and after three days rise up alive." He said this simply and clearly so they couldn't miss it.

But Peter grabbed him in protest. Turning and seeing his disciples wavering, wondering what to believe, Jesus confronted Peter. "Peter, get out of my way! Satan, get lost! You have no idea how God works."

Calling the crowd to join his disciples, he said, "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?

"If any of you are embarrassed over me and the way I'm leading you when you get around your fickle and unfocused friends, know that you'll be an even greater embarrassment to the Son of Man when he arrives in all the splendor of God, his Father, with an army of the holy angels."

Daily Prayer Online:

Sacred Space

Pray as You Go

Daily Prayer Focuses:

Lent is a time of inward reflection and repentance, so this week we are reflecting, focusing, and praying about our lives and relationships at school and/or work.

Monday, March 2nd – Those We Don’t Get Along With

We all have those people that we don’t get along with well, can’t stand, or just don’t like. But we aren’t challenge by Jesus to be selective in whom we show love to. Jesus wants us to love, period. So take some time today to say this ancient prayer as a way to remind yourself that you aren’t perfect either.

“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”

Tuesday, March 3rd – Those Who Are in Authority Over Us

It can be challenging to go to school and/or work and have someone tell us what to do. And sometimes we find it challenging because we have a hard time being humble.

Ephesians 4:2 says “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.”

So spend some time today reciting this simple verse as a reminder to be humble when dealing with those who are in authority over us.

Wednesday, March 4th – Those Who Are On The Same Level

1 Corinthians 13: 1-7 (The Message): If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

Think about that today, cause it kind of says it all.

Thursday, March 5th – Those Who Are Below Us

It’s not easy being told what to do or learn. But it’s really easy to forget that when we are the ones doing the telling or teaching. So today try to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. It’s not easy so don’t act like it is. Take some time to pray… we need as much help as we can get.

Friday, March 6th – Those Times We Don’t Want To Go

It’s tempting to say “suck it up and get out of bed” instead try praying this:

Dear God help me to not be lazy today.

Saturday, March 7th – Those Times We Should Rest

Lent is about repentance and some of us need to repent of our inability to rest. School and/or work can be exhausting, but sometimes the exhaustion is our fault. It can be our fault when we don’t take the time to rest. So take some time to rest today. Turn off the computer and cell phone and go do something fun and/or restful. Go for a walk, stare out a window, or take a nap. Be still. Rest. It’s okay the world will be there when you’re done resting.

Sunday, March 8th – Those Times We Don’t Think God Has Anything To Do With School and/or Work

In the Gospel According to Matthew (from the Message) it says:

Watch for this—a virgin will get pregnant and bear a son;

They will name him Immanuel (Hebrew for "God is with us").

So Jesus is known as “God is with us”…

so the next time you’re at school and/or work and wondering why you’re there or what this has to do with God, say to yourself “God is with us.” That simple phrase can be a simple prayer that can help our attitudes in a big way.